Trust is important for all corporate websites but it is especially crucial within the Pharma web community. Pharma must earn trust, it’s not a given. The pillars upon which to build a T.R.U.S.T.E.D. site are: Transparency, Relevance, Usability, Service, Timeliness, Educational, Direct communication style.
Here is a list of things to think about to increase the Trust level for your web presence:
- Be transparent – even when it hurts, if you don’t control your own message someone else will.
- Full disclosure on side effects in easy to read fonts (see above).
- Show the real organization behind your site.
- Show the personalities and people behind your organization.
- Give something away without a direct, obvious, or immediate payback.
- Educate all of your users, this will keep them coming back.
- Walk the walk, if you say you have high service make sure your programs support this message.
- Listen between the lines: What are people not looking at? What are they searching for that your site doesn’t provide?
- Reference your site in offline materials and connect to trusted organizations online; ideally you should have a plan to have trusted organizations connect to you too.
- Manage / create your own relationships with users; this is never something you should outsource.
- Respect cultural differences & use graphics of all types of people.
- Stay away from terms like ‘afflicted with’.
- Know that trust and advertising are inversely related, be restrained with promotional content.
- Respect boundaries.
- Respect your audience’s time.
- Avoid errors, even small ones.
- Make it easy to verify accuracy of info on your site.
- Find your place in the healthcare social network as a trusted partner; this is a big challenge but there is a place for Pharma at the table.
- If you gather information, tell why you want it.
- Make it easy to contact you.
- Look into using HON certification criteria.
- Develop a statement of what your users can expect from you.
- Recognize differences in how experts and users evaluate your site.
- Help your users learn how to evaluate information.
- 09 July 2008 at 12:07pm
- What makes a good relationship online? | Siren Song 20 November 2008 at 10:11pm
- What makes a good relationship online? | SIRENSONG
[...] Trust is always critical online, but it is especially important when it comes to people’s lives and health. ...
[...] Trust is always critical online, but it is especially important when it comes to people’s lives and health, as we’ve previously ...